Palm Frond Hat

Palm Frond Hat

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Collecting tips

It helps being a yard waste queen to find weavables, because I am always on the lookout for things to weave with. Friends don't like to ride with me because I am looking at trees and locations for philodendrons instead of the road.

The trick, I learned when I was collecting herbs for the herb farm was to look at the height that they grow when driving. With yard waste, you just have to look at the end of a driveway where they are thrown.

The palm inflorescence sticks work well when wet and pretty flexible. I was going to cut the spindly ends off, but they add to the work. It helps to have a heavy armature to work around, such as an old basket with a steel frame. Reed does work, but you must constantly be holding it down, with clamps, rubber bands and strong hands until the shape is set.

No comments:

Post a Comment