Palm Frond Hat

Palm Frond Hat

Thursday, March 3, 2011

FLORIDA BASKET

Finally, I am beginning to visualize and create the Florida Basket from palm inflorescence sticks. The only way other artists will be able to use the sticks are to think outside of the 'Easter Basket' box.

Palm sticks don't bend and weave like other medium. They must be soaked for a few hours to become flexible. The older the stick, the longer the soak.

I used a typical basket start with 3.25 reed. I had to form and mold the frame over a jar with rubber bands to hold everything in place. Since then I am am weaving the palm sticks around a metal, copper or a smoked reed armature.

Now my ideas are endless. On a 2 day trip to Orlando, FL; I spent time with my sisters and mother. Naomi and I gathered old palm sticks, sweet gum pods, and philo sheathes. They gave me their old bicycle. I rode the neighborhood checking out the booty. Now she is on the lookout too.She is a letter carrier and spots lots of yard waste during her day.

We also discovered we can copper plate/electroform the pods for jewelry and basket embellishments. I am going to need a bigger garage pretty soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment