Palm Frond Hat

Palm Frond Hat

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

My 1st Seabean find

I had occasion to drive around Sanibel Island, FL on Thursday, 09/24/2010.  The island, lush as ever, peeked my interest for unusual botanicals. I had 1/2 hour to look and had to race back with plans to visit again soon. I'll bring my grandkids with me. Kevin likes poking through sea detritus as much as I do. He hunts for reptiles. I look for shells and seabeans.

I stopped along the causeway. I couldn't believe it. I poked through three or four bunches of debris washed up and found my first SEABEAN,  www.seabean.com It was a gray Nickernut  (sea pearl)  about the size of quarter.

Seabeans are seeds and nuts that make their way via the currents of our oceans and end up on far away beaches. The 15th Annual Sea-Bean Symposium will be held on Oct 22-23, 2010 at the Cocoa Beach Public Library in Cocoa Beach, FL. You can read about the seabeans in the Drifting Seed Newsletter
on-line.

Seabeans are more of the inventory as botanical booty.

1 comment:

  1. My birthplace and family home is on the island of Galveston. I found a sea bean as a child, and kept it for many years. My grandfather told me what it was...this, of course, was decades before the internet. I cherished it for a long time. They are really wonderful! thanks for sharing...any chance for a pic of your sea bean?

    ReplyDelete