Palm Frond Hat

Palm Frond Hat

Monday, September 20, 2010

Plants where I find the booty

It occurred to me that you may not know which plants to look at for weaving booty, so I set out to take a few pictures.

You can visit south FL many times, but not find the weavers because it simply is the wrong season, or the seeds haven't dropped off the branch. I scout these plants and mentally log them in for future reference. I watch for the landscapers to cut down the branches. It is just a passion of mine to BRAKE FOR YARD WASTE. I swear, I am going to have that painted on my van.

The giant Split Leaf Philodendron, or Monstera Deliciosa yields a leaf sheath that is leathery and flexible. I have plucked them from 6" - 14" long. Barring, spiders, snakes, fire ants and palmetto bugs, I get 'inside' of the huge plant and pull the dried spent leaf sheaths from the plant. Usually they fall to the ground as mulch. They don't crumble when fresh but may as they dry further.

I am experimenting with soaking several to flatten them for shipping, and see how they hold up once woven into a basket.

No comments:

Post a Comment